The Performance Evaluation Reform Act passed in 2010 requires new evaluations for teachers and principals that include practice and student achievement in the rating. Implementation dates were included in the legislation with 80% of districts required to implement this performance-based teacher evaluation system by the start of the 2016-17 school year and the remaining 20% in 2015-16. These starting points are right around the corner and your district should be actively involved in implementing both practice and student growth components now.
I will be writing a series of articles on performance-based teacher evaluation in the coming weeks. This first article will concentrate on preliminary work that should be started in the very near future for all school districts.
It is highly recommended by experts that districts decide on pilot programs for both teacher practice and student growth before the implementation date. It is predicted that changes and modifications will need to be made, especially as it relates to student growth, before actual use.
Part of the guidance for determining student growth is to determine, by teacher category, what assessments your school district is presently using for Type I (a reliable assessment that measures students in the same manner with the same potential assessment items, is scored by a non-district entity, and is administered beyond Illinois) and Type II (assessments developed, adopted, approved, & utilized district-wide). Type III assessments are teacher developed and the state default will be SLO’s. SLO’s are targets of student growth that teachers set at the start of the school year and strive to achieve by the end of the semester or school year. These targets are based on a thorough review of available data reflecting students’ baseline skills and are set and approved after collaboration and consultation with colleagues and administrators.
The following is an example of a chart that districts could use to start this process. List the Type I, II and III assessments the district is currently using then start to discuss how to fill in the blank spots. I have filled in some of the chart boxes with possible examples that the district might have. These are only illustrative in nature and each district will need to analyze your own assessment resources. A special thanks to Pleasant Plains Superintendent Jerry Schutz for this list.
|District Assessment Identification Tool|
|Category of Teacher||Type I||Type II||Type III|
|Early Elementary, Pre-K, K||Star reading or Aims Web|
|1st-5th Grade Core||Star reading or Aims Web|
|Elementary PE||Presidential Physical Fitness|
|K-12 Fine Arts||2 Type III|
|Elementary Resource||Star reading or Aims Web|
|6-8 Math||Star Math|
|6-8 ELA||Star reading or Aims Web|
|6-8 Science||2 Type III|
|6-8 Social Studies||2 Type III|
|6-8 PE||2 Type III|
|6-12 Health||2 Type III|
|6-8 Resource||2 Type III|
|HS Math||Star Math|| Algebra I
|HS English||Star Reading|
|HS Biology||Common Assessment|
|HS Physics||Force Concept Inventory|
|HS Social Studies||2 Type III|
|HS PE||Presidential Physical Fitness|
|HS Foreign Language||2 Type III|
|HS Driver Education||2 Type III|
|HS Business||2 Type III|
|HS CTE||2 Type III|
ISBE is allowing school districts to form preliminary committees consisting of teachers and administrators to informally discuss student growth. It is suggested that you name these informal committees different than the formal committee name (PERA Joint Committee) that will be required to begin meeting on or before November 1 preceding the year your district is required to implement performance-based teacher evaluation. Sandoval School District, a RTT district, called their committee a “Design Committee.”